Nate Long is a Shamanic Artist, Practitioner and community builder, who gains insight through meditative journey-work; and whose creations are truly a “made prayer” to address something bigger or deeper in the individual or in our world. Nate’s work can illicit deep thought and encourages cleansing, healing and blessing of individuals, sacred spaces and community, and can help raise awareness and ease discomfort, however that may look.
Shows and Exhibits
Commissioned work for individuals and for important local, national and international causes:
- The Aum Nation Expo. Nature’s Treasures – Austin, Texas – September 2017
- Local Austin Author’s Book Fair – Austin, Texas – July 2017
- A Contemporary Art Show. Oskar Blues Brewery – Austin, Texas – May 2017
- A Home for All. Charity event for Casa Marianella and Syrian migrants. Clay Imports – Austin, Texas – April 2016
- Austin Visual Arts Association (AVAA) Austin Figurative Show. Austin Art Space gallery – Austin, Texas – March 2016
- Art Place Figurative Show – Austin, Texas – April 1997
- Senior Art Exhibit – two-man show, Graceland University, Lamoni, Iowa – May 1991
- “God Within“ painting on permanent display at Community of Christ temple, Independence, MO – January 1990
- Helpers – Children’s Book – Spring 2017 (available in print and on Amazon)
- Red Fox – 2015
- Owl Journeys – 2014
- Lizard’s Eye – 1994
- Year of Self-Discovery – 1991
- Books in progress with expected publish dates (working titles):
- Friends No Matter What – Children’s Book – Fall 2017
- Nurturance – Spring 2018
- Messages from Spirit – Fall 2018 commissioned work – illustrations for large volume coffee table book
Projects (including anticipated ones)
- Shamanic Art Exhibit – 2018 – Curation and facilitation of an art exhibit (in Austin and online) representing the art and story and practice of shamanism.
- Turning Fear [of Cancer] into Love, A Healing Basket – 2017 – Building of a basket that serves as center piece and the creation and facilitation of ceremony focused on the healing of the fear that we all confront concerning cancer.
- Austin Labyrinth Project – 2017 – Long term project of learning about the labyrinth, discovering and walking local labyrinths, creation of the Austin Labyrinth Project website, building of “Chief’s Labyrinth” at Muleshoe LCRA Park, facilitate Labyrinth-walking ceremony and ongoing coordination of quarterly maintenance of “Chief’s Labyrinth”
- Austin Shamanic Community Camp Out and Journey Circle – 2015-Present – Director for a three day retreat held twice per year for 25 to 40 attendees, which provides numerous classes, ceremonies and meditation activities.
- Medicine Drum Making – 2016 – Present – Class and ceremony held twice per year, including building, care, proper usage and blessing of a medicine drum for Shamanic Drumming purposes.
- Walk in the Wood – 2016 – Present – Creation of meditative space on greenbelt and facilitation of silent walking meditation and shamanic healing.
- A Prayer of Gratitude – 2015, 2016, 2017 – Creation of large dream catcher (25 to 30 people in circle) during Shamanic drumming and ceremony. Held during November time-frame.
- Making Prayers for the Water Protectors – December 2016 – Ceremony to pray and raise awareness for the Standing Rock protests.
- Prayer for Syrian Refugees – 2015 – Construction of large roped spiral for meditation walk with Lakota Pipe Ceremony. To Raise awareness and donations for Syrian Refugee crisis.
- Mother Water – 2015 – Online program to sell prints and collect donations for the Wimberley, Texas floods
Leadership , Community and Professional Activities
- Blue Eye Art – 2008 – Present – Owner and artist for website and blog to share personal writing and artwork with an audience of artists, shamanic practitioners, alternative healers and all seekers.
- Austin Shamanic Community – 2013 – Present – Activities director and member of community leadership council. Ceremony and class teacher and facilitator.
- Technical Writer – 1995 – Present
- Marketing Communications Manager – 2000 – 2009
- Figurative Model Drawing Class, AVAA and Hancock Recreation Center, Austin, Texas – 2015 – Present
- Spirit Paths, a Search for Authenticity, Austin, Texas – January-September, 2015
- Bachelor’s Degree: Fine Arts Major, English Writing Minor. Graceland University , Lamoni, Iowa – May 1991
Preferred Artistic Mediums
Drawing, painting, digital design, illustration, photography, stone-work, wood-work, sewing, drum-making, multimedia sculpture, poetry/prose, music (singing, flute, violin, drum), cooking, group ceremony, interactive exhibits and performance